The name of the organization shall be Professional Basketball Writers Association.
The purposes of the Professional Basketball Writers Association are:
- To promote and protect the rights of its members and others in regard to working conditions in the daily coverage of professional basketball.
- To represent the collective interests of its members in any area that affects their professional duties or general welfare.
- To uphold high standards of professionalism in their craft.
- To present to the public and to the basketball community a responsible group for dealing with matters of mutual interest.
- To stimulate cooperation and fraternity among its members.
- To use its powers for whatever purposes the membership duly decides to be worthwhile.
The following criteria must be met by all members:
- He or she must be employed by a media organization of general circulation that regularly assigns reporters to cover professional basketball.
- Such an employee must be one of the following:
• A reporter assigned regularly to cover professional basketball.
• A sports editor, assistant sports editor or head of a sports copy desk.
• A regular sports columnist.
• Anyone certified by his or her sports editor as a basketball specialist who is not covered in the three preceding cases.
- Anyone who does not qualify under sections 1 or 2 above may be granted membership on a case-by-case basis by the membership committee and president, but only if the applicant meets one of the following requirements:
• He or she is an employee of a weekly newspaper or news magazine that covers professional basketball on a regular basis, and the applicant is assigned to such coverage.
• He or she is an employee of a daily newspaper of specialized circulation (such as a foreign language or neighborhood newspaper) that regularly assigns reporters to cover professional basketball.
• He or she is a sports editor or regular columnist of a daily newspaper of general circulation that does not regularly assign reporters to cover professional basketball.
• He or she is an employee, editor or owner of a website that produces independent reporting and original content and specializes in professional basketball.
• He or she is a writer for a media enterprise who primarily is responsible for covering professional basketball and has an editor.
- In reviewing membership applications, the president and the membership committee will consider the following criteria:
• whether an applicant regularly produces independent reporting and original content.
• whether an applicant already receives media credentials to cover professional games or practices.
• whether an applicant works for an outlet that is considered a “fan site.”
Applicants who do not produce independent reporting and original content or do not receive media credentials or work for fan sites are unlikely to be granted membership.
Updated: 2007, 2012 and 2014